A warm welcome to our new students!
Starting up yoga is never easy and feels a little intimidating at first. But we soon don't regret it and feel so grateful to have made it to a yoga studio.
To help you out in your first step with our studio please read the following. If you have anymore questions call us (505) 407-4020.
Welcome to Higher Altitude Yoga!
1. Start with Revitalize Flow or Restore & Heal Yoga or Yoga 101 (available once a year) and complete at least 10 weeks of yoga.
2. For best result allocate some of your time to at least 1 session per week. Visit the page FAQ to learn about the studio, the ethic of yoga, and how to take your first class, or call (505) 407-4020
3. Be patient with yourself and don't judge your progress too quickly. We often have difficulty seeing how well we are doing. Our expectations of ourselves are often too high or too low.
4. What matters is being present in class and following instruction. All will make sense in time.
5. Yoga will work on you from the inside out (not the reverse). The changes will be apparent in your behavior, state of mind, physical well being, and in your day to day activities. Give it a chance for it to manifest!
6. Give yourself at least 10 weeks before deciding what yoga is or does for you.
7. Communicate with your instructor about any injuries or surgeries you may have or had or any special need before starting class.
8. Join our mailing list to stay updated with new classes & Higher Altitude Yoga's Health & Nutrition Newsletter. Add your date of birth and receive a free class on your birthday!
9. Learn to relax as best you can while in class, and most of all have fun!
10. Keep a yoga journal every time you take a class. Write down the experience you had in class, what went well and what seemed to have been a challenge, how you felt after class vs. when you came in, how your body feels with each class, the new insight you have about life, about yourself, about your spiritual unfoldment.
11. Visit the Student Ethic Page to learn more about what is asked of you and you'll learn the principles of yoga as well.
12. visit the class schedule and see if you can work with what we offer
What to bring and wear for class:
"Excellent, excellent beginner class. Marie is a patient and enthusiastic instructor. Each week is a little more challenging and builds on the previous weeks experience. Very enjoyable. I look forward to the next class."
Jen S. Tijeras, NM
"I’m still sore in parts this morning so that reveals how out of shape I am!! It was awesome, loved the class, the pace and the instruction were perfect. And, you kept it light. I keep thinking about one moment where you said “don’t panic”. Just what I needed."
Jody P. - Cedar Crest, NM